The Round “About 5k” is an enjoyable scenic run/walk (strollers welcome!) weaving and winding through the streets of Deer Park, including two roundabouts hence the name. The proceeds from the Round “About 5k” benefit The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society (LLS), whose mission is to: Cure leukemia, lymphoma, Hodgkin’s disease and myeloma, and improve the quality of life of patients and their families.
LLS is the world’s largest voluntary health agency dedicated to blood cancer. LLS funds lifesaving blood cancer research around the world and provides free information and support services.
There will be an opportunity for people to register as Bone Marrow Donors with the Jada Bascom Foundation.
You may not know…
- Approximately every 3 minutes one person in the United States (US) is diagnosed with a blood cancer.
- Since its first funding in 1954, LLS has invested almost $1 billion in research specifically targeting blood cancers.
- An estimated combined total of 171,550 people in the US are expected to be diagnosed with leukemia, lymphoma or myeloma in 2016.
- An estimated 1,237,824 people in the US are either living with, or are in remission from, leukemia, lymphoma or myeloma.
- Every 9 minutes, someone in the United States dies from a blood cancer. This statistic represents nearly 160 people each day, or more than six people every hour.
For more info:
Warning: implode(): Invalid arguments passed in /home/ujbdxeku/public_html/wp-content/themes/wallow/functions.php on line 757